I have been a pilot for 30 years. To earn my pilot’s license and soar over the rainbow, I had to learn what makes an airplane fly and what can bring it crashing to the ground. There are three dynamics that affect the flight of an airplane: thrust, lift and drag.
The first two are absolutely necessary to make an airplane fly. The third is always present and if not carefully controlled it can keep a plane from ever becoming airborne and even bring an airplane down. The same dynamics can determine whether you fly or crash in life!
In either a jet or a prop plane, an engine spins the blades of a propeller and creates THRUST. You can feel that thrust as an airliner accelerates for takes off. The engine has to generate enough thrust to move a plane across the ground and create lift over the wings. Without thrust an airplane has the same potential to fly as a Popsicle.
An airplane wing is designed to create LIFT. As thrust moves the airplane forward, air flows over the top of the wing and creates a vacuum. The differential in air pressure on the top of the wind and below the wing generates lift powerful enough to allow aircraft that weigh tons to fly.
The instant an airplane begins to move it induces DRAG. Every exposed surface on the airplane fights movement and tries to keep the airplane from flying. The weight of the airplane including passengers laden with Big Macs and thousands of pounds of fuel contributes to drag.
The goal of those who design airplanes is to provide enough thrust, and lift, to overcome drag.
Think about it! I believe you were designed to fly! I don’t know very many people who are satisfied just to trundle along the ground in life when it is possible to soar, to live fully alive. So here are some questions to ask ourselves:
Do I have enough THRUST?
- What is the source of power/thrust that drives my life?
- Is it sufficient enough to get me moving off the ground?
- Is it strong enough to overcome the drag that can bring me down?
Am I creating LIFT ?
- Where do I get my lift?
- What do I include in my life that will help my spirit soar?
- Do I design my life to lighten up and live?
- Do my attitudes, my relationships, my activities create lift or drag me down?
Am I eliminating DRAG?
- What habits, mind sets, relationships, create drag in my life?
- What am I doing to minimize those things or eradicate them from my life?